Ayurveda View on Infertility and its management w.s.r. to role of Uttar Basti
Ayurveda considers Vandhyatva (infertility) as failure to give birth to a baby or experiencing Garbha Strava (repeated abortion) or Mrutvatsa (still births). The factors such as lifestyle, stress, excessive usage of contraceptives, genetic problems, smoking & drinking habits increases such cases day by day. As per ayurveda Vandhyatva occur due to the vitiation of Vata Dosha which affects basic constituents of Garbha (Rutu, Kshetra, Ambu & Beej). Ayurvedic classics describe both mental and body purification along with lifestyle management for treating infertility. Ayurveda philosopher had mentioned Shamana and Shodhanchikitsa for the treatment of infertility. Panchkarma provides best efficacy because it helps in balancing Doshas and Dushyas. Uttarbasti is one such type of therapy being indicated for infertility. It helps in detoxification of reproductive tract like uterus & fallopian tube. Uttarbasti helps in balancing Vata Dosha and thus helps in retaining Garbha.
2. Richard M Sharpe. Life Style and environmental contribution to Male Infertility.
3. MahrshiSusruta. SusrutaSamhita, Chikitsasthana 37/117-118 edited with Ayurveda-TattvaSandipika, Hindi Commentary, Scientific Analysis, Notes etc. by Kaviraja Ambika dutta Shastri. Varanasi: Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthan; 2014
4. Alper M M, Gareus P R, Spence J E, Quaringtom A M. pregnancy rate after HSG in oil and water based contrast media. ObstetGynael; 1986.p. 68.
5. ShuklaKamayani- A comparative study of uttarbasti of yavaksharataila and kumara taila in tubal blockage. Postgraduate thesis, Jamnagar: Gujarat Ayurveda University; 2010.
6. Ashtanga Sangraha-edited with Hindi Commentary, Kaviraj Atridev Gupta (editor), Varanasi: Chaukhambha Krishnadas Academy; 2005.
7. Text book of Gynaecology, Dutta D.C.,7th Edn. Kolkata: New central Book Agency Pvt. Ltd.; 2010.
8. Dipika and Gudhartha Dipika. Shrangdhara Samhita. Commentary, Varanasi: Chaukhambha Prakashana, 2000. J Ayu Herb Med. May- June 2016; 2(3).
9. Gynaecology (Review Series). 3rd Edn. New Delhi: Elsevier; 2006
10. Women’s Power to Heal through Inner Medicine by Maya Tiwari, Mother OM Media, 2007.
11. Kaviraj Shastri A. Sushruta Samhita. Edition: Reprint 2012. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan; 2012.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Innovative Science & Technology affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJIST.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM