Comparative study on the efficacy of Cinnamomum zeylanicum capsule and infusion on serum cholesterol level of subjects with type 2 diabetes
There are health claims that liquid forms are better absorbed and they function rapidly than capsules, as the body need not break down a liquid extract, allowing more of the medicinal properties to be absorbed into the system. The present study was carried out to find the efficacy of cinnamon capsules over infusions on serum cholesterol levels of type 2 diabetes subjects sixty type 2 diabetes mellitus subjects were supplemented with one gram of Cinnamomum zeylanicum capsule and 75 mL of infusion. The effectiveness of the supplements to decrease serum cholesterol levels after a period of 45 days was investigated. Total cholesterol, serum HDL, serum LDL, serum triglycerides and serum VLDL were assessed. Results indicated that there was a significant difference in serum cholesterol level between the capsule ingested group and infusion ingested group indicating that consumption of cinnamon capsule had a positive effect. As capsules are easy to swallow, does not require preparation time and the exact dosage can be consumed, capsules of Cinnamomum zeylanicum when consumed regularly at effective levels, had a good impact on serum cholesterol levels in subjects with type 2 diabetes.
2. Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2017. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2018; 41:917-928
3. Baigent C, Blackwell L, Emberson J, et al.; Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ (CTT) Collaboration. Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomised trials. Lancet 2010;376:1670-1681
4. Kearney PM, Blackwell L, Collins R, et al.; Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ (CTT) Collaborators. Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18,686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2008; 371:117-125
5. Carter AA, Gomes T, Camacho X, Juurlink DN, Shah BR, Mamdani MM. Risk of incident diabetes among patients treated with statins: population based study [published correction appears in BMJ 2013; 347:f4356
6. Charak, Drdhbala. In: The Charak Samhita explained by K. Sastri and G.N. Chaturvedi. 22nd revised. Sastri R, Uapadhayaya Y, Pandeya GS, Gupta B, Misra B, editor. Chaukhamba Bharti Academy, Varanasi; 1996.
7. Tulsidas: Ramcharitmanas (1631 samvat)
8. Anon. Ethnobotany and the search for new drugs. John Wiley and Sons, England; 1994.
9. Cox PA, Ballick MJ. The ethnobotanical approach to drug discovery. Scientific American .1994; 82-87.
10. Fabricant DS, Farnsworth NR. The Value of Plants Used in Traditional Medicine for Drug Discovery. Environ Health Perspect. 2001; 109:69-75.
11. Uniyal SK, Awasthi A, Rawat GS. Developmental processes, changing lifestyle and traditional wisdom: analyses from western Himalaya. The Environmentalist. 2003; 23:307-312.
12. Attieh, H.A., S. Abu Lafi, S. Jaber, S. Abu-Remeleh, P. Lutgen and M. Akkawi, Cinnamon bark water-infusion as an in-vitro inhibitor of $-hematin formation. J. Med. Plant Res., 2015; 9:998-1005.
13. Chattopadhyay I., Biswas K., Bandyopadhyay U. and Banerjee R.K. Turmeric and curcumin: Biological actions and medicinal applications. Curr. Sci., 2004; 87: 44-53.
14. Chohan M., Forster-Wilkins G. and Opara E.I. Determination of the antioxidant capacity of culinary herbs subjected to various cooking and storage processes using the ABTS*+ radical cation assay. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 2008; 63: 47-52.
15. Rosenblat J.D. Potential differences in antidepressant effects of oral ketamine liquid suspension versus compounded capsules. Br. J. Psychiatry. 2019; 215: 434-434
16. Corey, B. How cinnamon lowers cholesterol. [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 May 12]. Available from:
17. Magistrelli, A. and J.C. Chezem. Effect of ground cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose concentration in normal-weight and obese adults. J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2012; 112: 1806-1809.
18. Parthasarathy V.A., Chempakam B. and Zachariah T.J. Chemistry of Spices. CABI. Southampton, UK; 2008. ISBN-13: 9781845934057.
19. Crawford P. Effectiveness of cinnamon for lowering hemoglobin A1C in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled trial. The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.2009; 22(5), 507-512.
20. Park, W. B., Cho, J. Y., Park, S. I., Kim, E. J., Yoon, S., Yoon, S. H., & Yu, K. S. Effectiveness of increasing the frequency of posaconazole syrup administration to achieve optimal plasma concentrations in patients with haematological malignancy. International journal of antimicrobial agents. 2016; 48(1), 106-110.
21. Anderson, Richard A., Zhiwei Zhan, Rencai Luo, Xiuhua Guo, Qingqing Guo, Jin Zhou, Jiang Kong, Paul A. Davis, and Barbara J. Stoecker. Cinnamon extract lowers glucose, insulin and cholesterol in people with elevated serum glucose. Journal of traditional and complementary medicine. 2016; 6(4): 332-336.
22. Maierean, Serban M., Maria-Corina Serban, Amirhossein Sahebkar, Sorin Ursoniu, Alexandru Serban, Peter Penson, Maciej Banach, and Lipid and Blood Pressure Meta-analysis Collaboration. "The effects of cinnamon supplementation on blood lipid concentrations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of clinical lipidology. 2017: 1393-1406.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Innovative Science & Technology affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJIST.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM